Maria Sharapova is in town, people. Batten down the courts. This tennis contender is in town to play at Wimbledon and she’s ready for the match of her life. That all beingsaid, this beauty’s mixing a little business with pleasure this week. Wimbledon guests not only get the thrill of seeing Sharapova play some great tennis, they also get to visit Sharapova’s pop-up candy store in town. Oh yes, this lovely lady is also a fabulous entrepreneur and her candy brand Sugarpova is going to be keeping things sweet on the court this season.
To celebrate the opening of Sugarpova and the start of Wimbledon, we threw out some earth shattering question for Maria Sharapova to answer. Ok, they aren’t earth-shattering, but enquiring minds want to know. So here’s seven for Sharapova, a Q&A.
1. Congrats on the new space in Wimbledon. We’re definitely stopping in our way to the tournament this year. You’ve have Sugarpova for a while now. Can you explain it’s beginnings. What led you to jump into the sweets business?
I am a self-professed sweet tooth, and have been since I was a little girl. I used to be rewarded for a good practice with a piece of candy, and not much has changed except for now I do the rewarding and make the candy! I believe in everything in moderation, and that women should celebrate all of their accomplishments.
2. What would you say makes Sugarpova stand out against the competition?
When I looked around at the candy offerings in the market a few years ago, there were really only two choices – lower end drugstore candy marketed mostly toward kids, and on the higher end all offerings were chocolate. I wanted to create something targeted toward adult women – scrumptious, fruity gummies with a more sophisticated and whimsical packaging. Sugarpova really stands out on the shelves, and I’m so proud of what we’ve accomplished in the past (almost) 2 years.
3. Naturally most women will take one look at your amazing physique and wonder how it is that you run a sweets company and maintain one of the most enviable figures on earth. Any tips to pass on for fitness or diet? How DO YOU DO IT?
The key to being a professional athlete (a professional anything for that matter!) is discipline. I believe in everything in moderation, and that women shouldn’t deprive themselves anymore than they should gorge on multiple bags in one sitting. My training and work out schedule can be intense, but I make sure it’s not all work and no play. You have to stop and enjoy the little things in life – like a piece of candy – once in a while.
4. You’ve been attending Wimbledon now for years and must know the town backwards and forwards. Any recommendation spots for people to visit while they’re in town watching you play?
I have been, yes! I won Wimbledon ten years ago, and it’s a place I look forward to visiting every year. This year, we’ve opened a Sugarpova Candy Lounge – the world’s first – in Wimbledon Village. It’s a pop up that will last through July 6th, and tennis fans can not only taste all of our 15 flavors, but they can order a healthy juice, have some fun in our photo booth, or just relax and hang out. It’s a must-do this Wimbledon!
5. And while we are on that topic – do you have a favorite spot in London?
I’m a fashion girl – I love design and following the runways. I always try to stop in Selfridges in downtown London while I am in town.
6. Touching quickly on fashion – Can we expect any new looks for you out on the court this season? And when you’re off the court do you have any favored London designers you turn to for red carpet looks this year?
I’ve been designing my collection of tennis dresses and accessories for years now – and we always unveil a new look for every major. Wimbledon is always fun because of the traditional white attire – finding ways to make a unique look that feels fresh is a challenge I relish. London overall has some amazing design talent. I’m a huge fan of the Alexander McQueen collection, and also love Temperley, Roland Mouret, and Christopher Kane.
7. And finally, If you were told you could only have one last sweet in your life, what would it be?
Well I’m obviously partial to Sugarpova! My absolute favorite (and I’ve done a LOT of taste testing!) is “Quirky.” Quirky is a strawberry-flavored rainbow toffee with a creamy marshmallow center – to die for!