You may remember back at the start of December I mentioned I was taking part in Coco Cola’s project to complete 12 good deeds before Christmas Day. I was given a list of tasks to complete and I took the project very seriously. From taking time to listen to carol singers, to making sure the recycling was done throughout Christmas, I’m proud to say I completed each and every task.
Some of the 12 good deeds were more fun than others. Making cookies for my local shop owners before Christmas was a highlight. Seeing the look on their faces as an unexpected gift finds its way onto the counter when someone’s just buying a stack of papers is absolutely priceless. Then there were tasks that were harder- like playing designated driver for a night. As I don’t have a license in the UK, I had to improvise and picked up the tab for taxis for a night out. Same thing as driving, nearly, right?
Now, moving forward, I’ve made a decision to include some of the 12 good deeds of Christmas into my everyday life. In fact, I’ve changed the 12 good deeds to match what I think will be appropriate to an everyday agenda in London. So here they are, in their original and altered state:
1. Take some time to stop and listen to Carol Singers – Take time to look around and appreciate the beautiful city around me.
2. Thank your bin-men, postman, milk man or paper boy with a surprise gift – Thank all those who help make everyday life easier. Thank them whenever you can!
3. Offer to be the designated driver on a Christmas night out – I’ll stick with the cab offerings on this one!
4. Surprise a loved one with a kiss under the mistletoe or a festive hug – Always kiss or hug the people that matter most to be in life – let them know always they are loved.
5. Give someone a hand carrying their Christmas shopping or luggage – If you see someone on the street that needs assistance, lend a hand whenever you can.
6. Make your friends and family smile by wearing a silly Christmas hat for a day – Laugh with friends and family whenever possible, tell jokes, make funny faces, share experiences!
7. Pay someone a compliment they weren’t expecting – do just this every day.
8. Wish a complete stranger Merry Christmas- say Good Morning to complete strangers when out and about.
9. Surprise someone with a homemade Christmas card – Send homemade Birthday cards!
10. Hold a door open for someone – do just this every day.
11. Reward good customer service with a thank-you note – do this every chance you get.
12. Do your bit for the environment and recycle – do this already every single day.
Won’t you join me in paying it forward and making the Coca Cola’s 12 Good Deeds of Christmas an everyday event?