Get ready, folks, as this is a big one. I’ve been getting a lot of questions recently about what I buy when I go to the USA. People are always asking specifically what I gravitate towards when I enter American pharmacies like CVS or Duane Reade. So I thought it was about time I made a list of my must-buys every time I visit the USA from American pharmacies. These are items that, without fail, always seem to find their way into my suitcase before I arrive at Heathrow.
1. Crest 3D Whitestrips. $34.99. Every time I come home I always ask my friends in the UK what I can bring back for them. Inevitably I end up coming back with between 5-10 sets of Crest Whitestrips. People are obsessed. These are the best thing in whitening since whitening first became available over the counter. It is my number one buy from the US Pharmacy everytime and it’s what I owe my pearly whites to. These new 3D whitestrips are also fabulous because they have special grips on them that make sure they don’t slip and slide when you are wearing them. Excellent!
2. Dove Nourishing Oil Care Shampoo and Conditioner. $7.49. I am in love with Dove shampoo. This is sort of my treat for myself that I buy as soon as I get off the plane in the USA. There’s something about the scent and of course the end result of healthy looking hair that has me coming back for more every time I’m in town. If they were ever to discontinue this shampoo I really would sit down in the middle of the pharmacy aisle and cry.
3. Revlon Crazy Shine Buffer. $3.49. I don’t know how this works but it does. A few swipes over your nails and they go from dull to so super shiny you might need to avert your eyes. I saw an ad for this in the USA and was immediately sold. It’s a product that delivers what it promises which these days is rare.
4. Tweezerman ingrown hair and splinter tweezers. $15.00. This was a new discovery on my latest trip to NYC for fashion week. I managed to get one heck of a massive splinter on the high line and went in looking to buy tweezers for some help and came across this little speciality item. Not only does it help with splinters but also ingrown hairs and stubborn eyebrow hairs. It’s pretty much the invention of the year in my books and worth every penny.
5. Smith’s Rosebud Salve. $5.59. This stuff works for absolutely everything and anything. Need blush, lip balm, eyebrow staying-in-place help, moisturizer or just a lovely emergency scent? This is your emergency helper and it probably has a thousand more uses than what I’ve just listed here. An absolute must own.
6. Simple Replenishing Rich Moisturizer. $10.99. I’m not one for light moisturizers. I’m also not a fan of adding a lot of unnecassary goop to anything I put on my face. So I always stock up on this moisturizer as it feels heavy in your hand but literally melts into your face and truly makes you feel as if you are giving your skin a drink. Can’t ask for more than that really can you?
7. Bed Head Ego Boost Split End Mender. $11.62. Not only does this product work wonders for your hair as far as solving the split end dilemma, it also makes your mane smell absolutely incredible.
8. Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes. $5.99. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. I can’t get enough of these and I have honestly not left home without a pack in my bag for going on five years now. Serious staple.
9. Jergens Natural Glow Express. $6.79. I’ve used Jergens gradual tanner products for as long as I can remember. I find they are truly the best for giving an even glow that grows over time. However, this latest product gives you the magical glow even faster. I just started using it last year and now I always keep a bottle around for emergency tanning needs.
10. Turbie Twist. $8.99. I have a massive collection of these towels as I always forget mine when travelling and end up stopping in to buy another one. I’m not lying when I say I have at least a dozen in my linens closet right now. For those of you that do the towel twist with your hair after every shower, this will transform your life.
11. Twizzlers. $2.99. Seriously, you can’t go into an American Pharmacy and leave without a little treat in your basket. Twizzlers have always been my guilty pleasure and they are perfect for long haul flights or road trips.
12. Dove Clinical Protection Clear Tone. $7.99. Ok, this makes things a little bit personal but I’m going to go ahead and take it there. Dove have brought out this new antiperspirant that actually helps restore your underarms to clear glory. You know sometimes you can get that strange discolouration in your underarms (ok maybe you are lucky enough not to)? Well this bad boy takes care of that and protects you against body odor. Sorted!
If you are in the USA, all items are available from Drugstore.com. If you are an out-of-towner, head straight to the local Pharm when you jump into town and you’ll find all these products on shelves around the country.