Well finally the world has caught on to what all Londoners have known for quite some time… this is where the action is when it comes to fashion and style! The Global Language Monitor released the official word today that London is top of the charts for fashion, above New York, Paris and even Milan! They’re claiming it mostly has to do with Kate Middleton and Alexander McQueen:
“We are seeing what the impact of two genuine media stars, Princess Kate and Alexander McQueen can have upon a global ranking. Our numbers show that it was their presence that tipped the victory to London over New York,” said Bekka Payack, the Manhattan-based fashion correspondent of the Global Language Monitor. “In the various categories, London took top honors in three, while New York, Paris, and Sao Paulo each topped the field in one.”
So the top ten, according to GLM (with last years’ rankings included) are:
- London (3) – Kate Middleton and Alexander McQueen help raise the City to No.1 status.
- New York (1) – New York is strong but London has Kate. ‘Nuff said.
- Paris (4) – No. 1 in our hearts but No. 3 in the media.
- Milano (6) – The Earth has returned to its proper orbit: The Big Four once again occupy the top four spots.
- Los Angeles (5) – LA solidifying her hold on No. 5.
- Hong Kong (2) – Down from No. 2 but tops again in Asia.
- Barcelona (10) – The Queen of the Iberian Peninsula. Once again.
- Singapore (15) – Up seven spots and into the Top Ten.
- Tokyo (14) – Third Asian city in the Top Ten.
- Berlin (18) – Completes a long climb into elite status.
To read GLM’s accompanying article and see the top 50 fashionable cities click here.